Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Building Mossetti Striker 3

This particular chassis, Mossetti Patriot Striker 3, was going to be used for my GT car and my old GT chassis was going to be sent to my gokart.  Problem, the chassis I ordered was supposed to be just like my old Mossetti and have front axle mounts.  OOPS...this one came in without the mounts.  I can't put it in my GT because they are required to have front wheels.  So, the only other class this chassis would be legal for is the gokart class.  The gokarts while looking funny without front wheels are not required to have the at this point.  This means the new Mossetti will go to that class and be held in reserve for a back up GTP chassis.

First thing I did was to pull the chassis out of the bag and checked for flatness.  I was surprised at how flat the chassis was out of the bag.  The first axle bushing I soldered in I was very happy with.  The axle slid through cleanly from its own weight.  The second one however did not allow the axle to slide through.  I checked for solder in the bushing and there was none.  I got some fine sand paper and made a roll barely small enough to fit into the bushing and tried to sand any imperfection out.  This did not help and I noticed inside the bushing the axle had actually scarred the surface of the bushing.  I unsloldered this bushing and promptly threw it away.  I felt like a genius having actually ordered two pair of the bushings instead of just one.  That is I felt like a genius for a few. seconds then I realized the problem with the bushing was probably caused by me to begin with.  I guess I wasn't a genius, I just understood how prone I am to messing things up.  Anyway, the second bushing fit good and soldered in perfectly.  I will be using a Slick 7 guide flag on this car.  I like the Slick 7 because of its design, also I have never had one break on me.  The motor will be a surprise, let me just say Greg Gilbert sent me a special little something to put in it.

Billy Watson, owner of the Dungeon, has two different gokart bodies.  Or, at least he did...I may have bought the last two of one of them he had.  The difference is the length of the body.  One is a little longer than the other.  I will be using the shorter one of the two for this chassis.  I will be reinforcing the back end of the body over the motor with body armor and will be using a GT spoiler on the back.  I really want to win one of these Ralph Thorne pit box plaques Pablo will be providing.  I may very well have the car to finish on the podium, but can I drive it well enough to get there?

I look for the gokarts to be much faster this month than they were last month.  I also look for a lot more accidents to happen.  Last race we were all so careful and afraid of these cars we took it kind of easy, except for Bud Greene.  I look for everyone to be pushing things a lot harder this month, I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. It is great to see you back writing on Slots New. I just hate it took you so long to remember the alphabet. I know it has been months, and we were beginning to worry so much about you. Would he ever recover, would he even forget his name, or where he lived. All I can say is good for you, Tim. Remember that I will always be there to pick you up and set you straight when you just start babbling about much of nothing. Do remember though, that you will be chasing my cars this Saturday in Prattville.

    ReplyDelete

2020 Muscle Car Class

edited 2/8/2020 This class will run with the same rules as Stock Class with the following exceptions. BODIES The only bodies allowed wi...