Monday, September 18, 2017

Tip from Tim Hendricks

OK, I have no desire to make myself out as a slot racing expert.  I certainly never anticipated giving a tip of the month myself as there are many others I would like to write about and bring their tips out for all to see.  However, in one of my more stupid moments I had a discussion with myself.  It went something like this...

"Tim, why is it someone who can race as well as you has so many bad finishes at your home track?  I mean, you are usually among the top of your local field of racers.  In a recent week you were running away from everyone in the Nascar class and your car broke."  I remember that one!!! I was about 30 laps ahead of second place running away from everyone when I spun a pinion gear off.  "Yes, and then you were racing in the same class, once again out running everyone when you broke a lead wire."  Please don't remind me.  I was 9 or 10 laps ahead of my brother at the time.  I hope he doesn't read this, he has a problem with dementia and probably wont realize it was not a fantasy that he beat me AGAIN.  "Oh, lets not forget how you were way out in front of everyone in the Super Modified race only to have your motor come unsoldered."  Do you have to remind me of all this stuff?  I really don't want to remember it!  "Then don't repeat it.  Do something about it and maybe you can win a race again."

That last sentence I said to myself was what caused me to decide to write a tip of the month.  After all...I obviously need the tip.  "Do something about it" is a simple statement, but it means a lot.  Never the same problem twice, but always a problem.  Hmmm, this seems like a problem in its self.  So, why am I having these problems?  I check out my car before each race night.  Maybe I am not checking them out well enough.

I recently was at a race where Greg Gilbert and Bud Greene of Alabama were racing.  I noticed that before the race they reduced their cars to a stripped down chassis.  They then completely rebuilt their cars before race time.  They made sure their chassis were flat and everything else was in shape.  I have been inspired!  I am not going to do this at the track as my social time and practice time at the track is too valuable to me so I will create a checklist of things to do the day before race day.

This checklist may seem a bit extreme for some, but it might help others realize how important maintenance is.  Here is my new 20 steps to race day.

1. Strip every thing off the chassis.   Remove the body, motor, guide flag, rear axle...etc.
2. Clean everything.  this includes the chassis, motor, axles, guide flag, body....etc.
3. Check chassis for flatness.  Adjust as needed to make sure everything is flat and smooth.
4. Inspect tires for condition.  If they have torn pieces pulled out replace them.  If they are not flat then true them or replace them.
5. Check rear axle for resistance.  After cleaning the axle and the oilites, lubricate each and put the axle back in with tires but without a spur/crown gear.  If the axle does not spin freely, adjust the oilites so they are properly aligned.
6.  Inspect your motor for any loose winding on the arm.  If you see a wire loop on the arm not tight against the others replace the motor.
7. Inspect pinion gear for wear.  If worn, replace with a new one.
8. If pinion is a press on, solder it on.  If it has already been soldered, check the solder and reheat establishing a new solder joint in case there has been any stress to the solder connection.
9. Inspect lead wires for ANY broken strands.  If the wires are not perfect, replace them or repair by cutting a little off and re-soldering.  Do this for the guide flag end as well as the motor end.
10. Inspect spur/crown gear.  If it is showing wear throw it in the garbage.  Replace it with a new one.  You should never have worn out gears in your pit box because you are scrimping.  It may cost you a race.
11. Place spur gear on axle with the tire next to it off.
12. Install motor setting gear mesh as you do so.
13. Once gear mesh is established tighten spur/crown gear and put other rear tire on.
14. Replace the guide flag.  If the threads will not allow the guide flag to tighten properly with free movement or it is showing excessive wear or discoloration due to strain, replace it.
15. Install the lead wires and new braid.  Why race with worn out braid?
16. If front axle was removed, reinstall at this point making sure it is set up properly.
17. Inspect for ride height clearance.
18. Lubricate motor, oilites, guide flag....if it can be lubricated, lubricate it.
19. Inspect body for wear or damage.  If there are any torn places and your class will allow the use of body armor repair as needed or replace the body.  Check for damage to holes where body clips or pins are pushed through and repair as needed with strapping tape or body armor if allowed.
20.. Install body and check for clearance.  Ultimately, the final checking for body clearance may need to be done at the track in actual use with a small pair of scissors on hand.

If I do this with each car before race day I should not see the kind of problems I have been having.  How about this for a tip....why don't you try using my new 20 steps to race day.  It might help you also

4 comments:

  1. The problem is you posted 20 things to do and you only have 10 fingers. I hope you do not resort to taking your shoes and socks off to count. At least according to you this will not be done at the track. Whew! We missed a big one there! And once again, anything over 10 becomes fantasy as you said you had a 10 lap lead? C'mon, I was on the outside lanes and you were about 5 laps up before I moved in and ran away from you before you broke. Dementia must run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There he goes again. My brother with his fantasies that are brought on by dementia..... I have had the lap counts quoted to me and yes he was not 10 laps behind me. He was only 5 laps behind me after my super modified broke and I did not finish the lane I was on. So yes, I was only 5 laps ahead of him after I lost the laps due to break down. Chuck, I hope this gives you a little encouragement. I know you have a serious inferiority complex when it comes to racing against me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superiority complex begins with a s and not an I. He can't spell either

      Delete

2020 Muscle Car Class

edited 2/8/2020 This class will run with the same rules as Stock Class with the following exceptions. BODIES The only bodies allowed wi...