Monday, May 7, 2018

Building Mossetti Striker 3 part 2

I got my chassis assembled and installed a Group 12 motor into it courtesy of Greg Gilbert.  I have cut out a put a simple paint job on a gokart body which I would be running in Prattville.  Everything seemed good.  The axle was free, the gear mesh was nice, and the body fit so I was expecting good things.  Oh, I was so wrong.  I still believe in this chassis and will use it in the future as a back up GTP chassis.

The problem with running this combination with a gokart body was it didn't handle.  Going down the long straight my car would launch out of the slot for no apparent reason than too much power.  I pulled the Group 12 motor out and tried installing a Hawk Retro motor.  Even with this combination it was coming out on the straights.  I did not have the time to spend working my way through this challenge so I decided to just share my chassis from my DTM car with a gokart body.  The previous month I had run my DTM chassis ( Champion Turbo Flex) as a gokart.  So, I brought my old gokart body with me in case I had troubles.  I fell back on this combination and was able to field a car.  It was not very fast compared to the others but I was at least able to field a car and not have to humiliate myself by asking others if I could drive one of their cars.  A big part of slot car racing is being able to work on your own cars and field one that you have worked on yourself.  It may have finished last, but I had fun driving my own car.

Now, why did the Mossetti chassis not handle?  I think I have an idea about this.  I will even be prepared to try it again next month when I go to Prattville on June 2nd.  The chassis had aluminum side pans with no uprights in the front for axle and wheels.  Yes, that is right, I was going to race a gokart with no front wheels.  The rules do not specify you must have them.  This made for a very light car especially in the front end.  I had a wing on the back of the gokart and this may have been making the front of the car come out of the slot under acceleration.  Next time I will probably start with a nose wing and nothing on the back of the kart.

Unfortunately I never got to see how fast this car would go as it never got up to full speed with out coming out of the slot.  Next month I will not only be trying this car at Prattville again, but I will be taking on IRRA legal Retro racing at Talladaga, AL on the last Saturday of June.  I have a beautiful Can Am Retro car built by Pablo and soon I will have a Pablo retrofitted Formula 1 Retro car.  I recently purchased a used Formula 1 Retro car and found out the measurements were not legal for IRRA racing.  I am glad I had Pablo give it the once over.  Pablo has assured me the chassis design is good and will just take a little work to make it competitive.  So, I have asked Pablo to work his magic on making this car a competitive car for the Retro circuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Muscle Car Class

edited 2/8/2020 This class will run with the same rules as Stock Class with the following exceptions. BODIES The only bodies allowed wi...