Sunday, April 29, 2018

Review on Pablo's build

Hmmm....let me get this out of the way.  This is not a post concerning Pablo's physique or his looks, I have no interest in that.  I will say he is slightly better looking than a three car pile up around a cypress tree in a swamp surrounded with alligators.  Mind you, he is only slightly better looking than that.

I had the pleasure of picking up my IRRA legal Retro Can Am slot car Pablo built for me on Friday.  I must say, I have never owned a slot car that has this level of professionalism built into it.  The car is a thing of beauty, unlike the builder.  But then, I can't say much about looks.  The only reason I have the wonderful wife I do is because of her pity on the criminally ugly.  At least I don't have dementia like my brother though.  Back to the car, the solder joints are amazing and the detail is incredible.  The guide flag has been surfaced on the under side of the flag and the blade to make everything lay flat and slide smooth.  The rotating surfaces on the guide flag and the guide flag tongue have both been machined to guarantee smooth action.  Everywhere there is a hole, and it has been appropriate, it has been reamed to assure a perfectly round hole and an exact fit.  For a lack of a better word I will call the rear axle, motor mount, and motor assembly a "pod".  The axle "pod" is incredible.  I will not even try to describe it as I could not do it justice.  Let me say there aren't enough O's in the word smooooooooooooooth to describe it.  It is simply smooth and strong.

Now, where do I try it out first.  I could go to the local track, but that would not give this car a true test as it is a blip the controller in the turns type track.  I want to see how it will handle when you have to "drive" through turns.  I would like to try it on the "Nightmare" in Robertsdale, AL as that track would give it a good test for the handling, but I don't know if Greg Gilbert is ever going to host another race.  Maybe I should talk to him about renting the track from him for a day and put on my own race.  No, I don't think that is the answer.  I think the first track I will try the car out on will be the "Dungeon" in Prattville, AL.  The "Dungeon" is long enough to see how it will handle high speed turns and will give me the opportunity to take it through some turns where you have to drive through them at partial throttle.

Greg, how about hosting a Retro car race at the "Nightmare"  I am sure we could get a number of racers in for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Muscle Car Class

edited 2/8/2020 This class will run with the same rules as Stock Class with the following exceptions. BODIES The only bodies allowed wi...